Have you put on a few pounds despite sloughing your ass off at your work? Well then, it won’t come as a surprise to you that you are not the only one. Obesity and cardiovascular diseases that are a result of unhealthy diet and lifestyle have become synonymous with workplace culture. “Overall, the working population is supposed to be young and healthy but we have found a high prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors, like tobacco consumption, hypertension, or dyslipidemia,” said recent study conducted by Dr Miguel-Angel Sanchez-Chaparro from the University of M’laga, Spain and Dr Eva Calvo-Bonacho.
As a result of this there’s been a consistent association between obesity and sickness absence due to non-work-related illnesses, in both metabolically healthy and unhealthy workers. With the the office being the perfect hub for work related stress, boredom, unhealthy snacking, and physical confinement in a cubicle, it is not surprising that people adopt an unhealthy lifestyle.
One way to combat weight gain is by utilizing your office space for simple workouts. It doesn’t matter how small your cubicle is, these exercises are simple, convenient, and effective.
- Warm up: Start with a short warm up which consists of 2-Minutes jogging in place, or walking briefly around the building.
- 15 Glute Squeezes: Sitting straight in your chair with your feet flat on the floor, contract your glutes and hold this for 2-3 seconds. You will feel a slight elevation in your seat before relaxing the muscles.
- 15 Arm Circles: Extend arms and make small clockwise circles with your fingertips.repeat the same in an anti-clockwise direction.
- 15 Abdominal Contractions: Sit straight in your chair and pull your belly button in towards your spine. Hold for 5 seconds and relax.
- 15 Seated Tricep Dips: Sit at the edge of your chair and support your bodyweight on your palms. Lower your body, keeping elbows tucked into sides of your torso. Make a dip so that your elbows are at a 90-degree angle and raise yourself up to form one repetition.Use a sturdy chair for this exercise.
- 15 Squats: Stand with your feet at shoulder length distance from each other and gently lower your torso down as you bend your knees. Remember to squat butt-first without putting unnecessary tension on your knees.
- 15 Inclined Push Ups: Using the wall for support you can lean on it with your palms and do a regular push up rep. If you have enough space then you can even do floor push ups to tone your chest.
- 15 Toe Raises: This simple move will get you sexier looking calves in no time. Stand on your feet and raise your toes by balancing your entire body weight. Maintain this position for 5-6 seconds before relaxing.
- 15 Dumbbell or Resistance Band Curls: Keep dumbbells or exercise bands handy at your desk to get added benefits from your cubicle workouts. Stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand at arm’s length. Keep your elbows close to your torso and rotate the palms of your hands until they are facing forward. Keeping the upper arms stationary, exhale and curl the weights while contracting your biceps in the process. Use the same technique for resistance bands.
Taking such short breaks for physical activity will actually increase your mental focus, creativity, and productivity at work. So not only are you setting the pounds packing, you will also be a more efficient employee.