Padmasana or lotus pose might be a simple sitting position, but the multiple benefits of Padmasana belie this fact. The first mention of ‘padmasana’ can be found as far back as 400 AD, though it has existed as long as yoga itself.
Padmasana may seem like a simple yoga asana, but the fact is that it has multiple benefits, and most people take months (sometimes years) to be able to sit perfectly in this pose.
Achieving the ideal padmasana pose requires following a number of steps:
1. Sit on the floor with your back erect.
2. Bend the right knee and place it on the left thigh. The sole of the foot needs to point upwards and the heel is to be close to the abdomen/belly button.
3. Bend the right knee and do the same placement with it on the left thigh.
4. With both the legs crossed and feet placed on opposite thighs, place your hands on the knees in mudra position. An ideal mudra for this pose would be your index finger and thumb touching lightly
5. Keep the head straight with the chin slightly dropped and spine erect.
6. Breath deep with long breaths. Inhale and exhale should be equal.
Since this pose requires hip flexibility, it is advised that beginners try the half lotus pose or the Ardha Padmasana. Come into easy pose with the legs crossed. Bend the right knee and place it on the left thigh. The sole of the foot needs to point upwards and the heel is to be close to the abdomen/belly button. Press the hipbones down into the floor and reach the crown of the head up to lengthen the spine. Breathe deeply through the nose down into the belly. Hold as long as comfortable, then switch legs.
Yoga and chill. #namaslay Schedule this week! Monday 9:30am hot power flow @realhotyoganj Hoboken 5:45pm hot level 1 flow @suryayogaacademy Jersey City AND 8:15pm @suryayogaacademy downtown Hoboken Tuesday 1pm vinyasa @newyorksportsclub Jersey City AND 6:30pm @newyorksportsclub downtown Hoboken 8:15 hot candlelit vinyasa @realhotyoganj Hoboken Wednesday 6am hot sunrise vinyasa @suryayogaacademy midtown Hoboken 12:15pm hot strong vinyasa @suryayogaacademy midtown Hoboken Thursday 1pm @newyorksportsclub Jersey City Saturday 9:30am Unheated power vinyasa @suryayogaacademy Jersey City 11:45am hot vinyasa @suryayogaacademy Jersey city #zeninthecity #yogaisafeeling #yogaeverydamnday
Now that we’ve broken down how to get into a padmasana, allow us to list some of its benefits –
• It’s a great hip opener. Regular practice of this pose will ensure that your hip flexibility increases in multitudes.
• Padmasana also stretches out your knees and ankles. Ankles are overlooked in many exercises. This ensures that your ankles are amply stretched.
• Increases awareness and attentiveness. Keeps the spine erect thereby developing good posture
• It is known to ease menstrual discomfort. It also helps keeps joints and ligaments flexible
• It’s known to restore energy levels
Thank you Dear @yuni.juwita taken and edited this picture #padmasana or #lotuspose on Saturday morning.and for gorgeous the mat from @livesankalpa belongs to beautiful @carolyncloset . This color of the mat has lifted up my energy in yoga poses.. ✈ #livesankalpa #yogamornings #happyyogi #beautifulmattres #yogaeverywhere #practicedaily #yogajournal #ashtanga
Over and above this Padmasana can is also a very calming pose. The stability of the lotus pose helps maintain proper posture and spinal alignment, which in turn leads to deep breathing, which is key in obtaining a meditative state. The interlocking of the body parts helps keep movements to a minimum, keeping the person’s mind and body still.